Visiting From Abroad?

Tourist Doctor Galway

The GP is your first point of contact within the Irish health service and is the first person you should see if you have a medical problem while holidaying in Ireland. GPs can resolve 90% of such issues, and can refer you further if the need arises. If the problem is extremely urgent (for example collapse, bad accidents, heart attack, bleeding profusely..) you should call an ambulance (phone 999 or 112) or proceed directly to the Accident and Emergency Department of University Hospital Galway, or the Galway Clinic.

If you have a valid EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) or UK NHS card, you are entitled to free emergency GP care. We also have direct payment arrangements with a small selection of insurance companies for those normally resident abroad. For others, keep your receipt after paying for your medical treatment to claim back later if your insurance allows for this.

Recent Blog Entries

Recent News

  • Sep 21 2018

    Walk in Flu Vaccination Clinic


    Walk-in Flu vaccination clinic at GBMC

  • May 18 2018

    What is a 'screening test' ....


    This is a great article by David Robert Grimes in the Irish Times today. Explains in plain English the difference between 'screening tests' and 'diagnostic tests', the limitations of screening for disease, what 'false positive' means and more, in the context of the CervicalCheck scandal....



  • Apr 25 2018

    Anam Cara Galway


    Anam Cara Galway, an organisation that supports bereaved parents, will hold its next monthly Parent Evening on Wednesday 2nd of May from 19:30 to 21:00 in the Clayton Hotel, Old Monivea Road, Ballybrit, Galway.

  • Jan 11 2018

    Flooding 2018 - Update


    Finally, we are back up and running almost as normal.

    We have no heating and no carpets but phones are back.
    We do have a bit of a backlog of appointments to get through but we're getting there.

    Thanks for your patience, patients.

Page 1 of 17  > >>